Treat yourself to a delicious low-fat dessert with this apple crisp recipe from Independence LIVE’s weekly healthy cooking class. The Granny Smith apples combined with oats, cinnamon, nutmeg, and raisins make for a perfect after-dinner snack the whole family will love.
Apple Crisp Dessert – 6 servings
4 granny smith apples, medium, peeled, cored and cut into twelfths
½ cup of raisins
3 tablespoons of 100% apple juice
¼ cup of whole wheat flour
¼ cup of old-fashioned oats
¼ cup of brown sugar
¾ teaspoon of cinnamon
¾ teaspoon of nutmeg
¾ teaspoon of cold butter
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and coat an 8 x 8 pan with cooking spray.
- Combine apples, raisins and apple juice in large bowl; toss well and set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, rolled oats, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Cut butter into mixture with a fork until it resembles coarse meal.
- Transfer apple mixture into making dish. Sprinkle flour mixture evenly over surface. Lightly coat top with cooking spray.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for 20 more minutes or until apples are tender.
- Remove from oven and let stand on wire rack for 20 minutes. Cut into squares and serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutrition Information (serving size: 1 burger)
Saturated Fat: 1g