Sydney news: Interstate firefighters to aid bushfire efforts, two people fined over Harbour Bridge protest
Updated October 10, 2019 10:52:04
Here’s what you need to know this morning.
SA firefighters head to NSW to boost bushfire aid
Dozens of firefighters from South Australia are heading to New South Wales today as back-up in the battle against the devastating bushfires that have been ravaging the north.
The 57 deployed personnel include 42 country firefighters, alongside management support specialists and ambulance officers.
On Thursday, the NSW Rural Fire Service (RFS) said there were 34 bush or grass fires burning across the state with 10 yet to be contained. All are at advice level.
An early assessment by the RFS has confirmed at least 21 homes and 35 outbuildings have been destroyed in the fires this week at Busbys Flat, including Rappville, and Long Gully Road at Drake.
Harbour bridge protesters fined
A man and woman have been issued with infringement notices after allegedly attaching a protest banner to the Sydney Harbour Bridge.
Police said the banner was attached underneath the bridge by protesters on Tuesday morning, and was later removed by authorities.
A 64-year-old man and 30-year-old woman were issued with notices for interfering with the safe and efficient operation of the bridge and were fined $780 and $188 respectively.
The woman was also issued with a notice for attempting to display an advertisement on the bridge without a permit.
Woman charged over domestic-related stabbing
A woman will appear in court today charged over a domestic-related stabbing after a man was seriously injured in Budgewoi in the Central Coast area yesterday.
Police were called to a house in Scenic Drive after receiving reports a 44-year-old man had suffered a serious injury to his shoulder blade.
He was taken to hospital in a stable condition.
A 46-year-old woman was charged with intent to cause grievous bodily harm and was refused bail to appear in Wyong Local Court today.
Rates of blindness on the rise, report finds
An international report has found at least 1 billion people around the world are living with vision impairment that could have been prevented or easily treated.
The joint study by the World Health Organisation and the Sydney-based Fred Hollows Foundation has found global rates of blindness and vision loss are on the rise.
Nick Martin from the foundation said the challenges of blindness and vision loss must be tackled everywhere.
“Unless there’s decisive action from the global community to tackle vision loss we will see numbers increase over the next 30 years.”
Prisoner charged after escape attempt
A man has been charged after attempting to escape while in police custody at a hospital in the state’s north-east.
Earlier this week, officers were escorting a prisoner who was under police guard at a hospital in Tamworth.
While the 24-year-old man was being discharged, he briefly broke free from an officer’s grasp before being re-apprehended.
New South Wales’ Labor health spokesman Ryan Park said security at rural and regional hospitals needed to be boosted.
“It’s a situation that myself and the Health Services Union have been calling on now for a long time,” he said.
Cloudy with a medium chance of showers.
First posted October 10, 2019 06:44:47